This is the record of an apple - a Washington girl - and a peach - a Georgia boy. Here you'll read of our daily events and watch us journey through life together. Thanks for reading!
.

Blog Archive

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Love is a Verb.. Love is something you do.

You know, I've always been amazed when I hear couples say "We've just fallen out of love. There's nothing there anymore." There's nothing there anymore because one, or both, of you have stopped loving. Have stopped trying.

So often I hear people blame their environment, their peers, their spouse, their boss, whoever, for the reason they act the way they do. Interesting..

I've been reading this book titled "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People." I'm only about 100 pages in, but it has opened my mind and has helped me to see things differently. It's also affirmed some of my own thoughts and ideas. Let me share some things with you that Covey has said/asked. I would challenge you to really think about these things.

1. Do I have the power to choose my responses?
2. Do you use reactive language such as "There's nothing I can do. That's just the way I am. They won't allow that." or do you use proactive language such as "Let's look at our alternatives. I can choose a different approach. I can create an effective presentation."
3. Proactive people make love a verb
4. Anytime we think the problem is "out there," that thought is the problem
5. If you really want to improve your situation (any situation at all) you can work on the one thing which you have control-yourself.

I am not kidding, this book is amazing. It's a little dry and your really have to concentrate on what Covey is saying for it to make a difference. I have only been reading for less then a week and I have made some goals to work on and I'm really excited!

Think about it. How you act, whether it is reactive or proactive, makes or breaks those little moments.
"If only my wife was more patient." "If only my kids were obedient." The only person you can change is you. Be a light. Be a model. Be an example. Invite others to also be proactive. It's amazing what you will discover!

No comments:

Post a Comment